Do you sense that God is calling you to work at Chengelo?
Chengelo is always interested to hear from committed Christian teachers or support staff, from Zambia or overseas, who are prepared to work in a rural school to carry on the vision of the school. At Chengelo you can serve as a:
Staff are entitled to have their first 3 children educated at the school for 25% of the normal school fees, and any additional children for 50% of the fees. At the end of every contract a gratuity of 25% is paid.
A full copy of staff conditions of service will be sent to all applicants who are invited for interview. The offer of a job to expatriate staff is subject to the school obtaining a work permit from the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Chengelo runs a Graduate Training Programme for teachers from Zambia's top universities. For more information and to apply for a GTP position at Chengelo, click the button below.
Many have taken the opportunity in the holidays to travel widely and explore Zambia and beyond. We welcome enquiries from committed Christians who are prepared to give of themselves and get stuck into some aspect of the school’s life. If you are interested please contact us outlining what you feel you can contribute or fill in an application form. Many of our gap students in the past have found their experiences at Chengelo to be enriching and challenging, and many have testified to it being a time when they have grown personally and spiritually. Expatriate gap students are expected to:
- Fund their own flights to and from Zambia
- Pay for their own Temporary Employment Permit from the Zambian Department of Immigration.
Gap students will be paid a small allowance, some food, and will be provided with accomodation.
Anyone interested in applying to the school can complete the relevant form from the preceding section. Please download the application form, fill it out and email it to email@example.com. If the school wishes to take your application further you will be asked to attend an interview. If you live in Zambia you will be invited to the school for your interview. For expatriate staff a former staff member will normally interview you in your country of origin (we have former staff in UK, Holland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa). For overseas candidates, the school can only confirm your appointment after an interview and pending a successful application to the Immigration Department for a Work Permit. Contracts are for two years in the first instance.
Head of Languages Department (English and French)
Required for January, 2019
Closing Date: 15th June 2018
- Come and be part of an exciting team, of expert teachers with a history of outstanding results
- A Christian School whose vision is to provide the best quality education to produce future generations of leaders for Zambia
- A unique community centred around the school in rural Zambia
- Our School Core values are Faith, Integrity, Servant heartedness, Perseverance, Creativity, and Responsibility.
- A boarding school with excellent accommodation, sporting facilities, a School Farm, Clinic, and outstanding outdoor education centre.
We are looking for:
- Committed Christians looking to serve with a vision for Christian Leadership
- Passionate and skillful teacher of English to lead our successful and committed Languages Department to even greater heights.
- Experience of successful teaching to A level as well as the drive and commitment to move language teaching, learning and progress forward.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills are essential
We are offering:
- A competitive local salary
- Accommodation on site, discounted school fees, main meal during term time, local medical cover, transport home every two years.
- Chengelo has an excellent track record for training and development of its staff.
All staff live on-site in two or three bedroom houses with single staff sharing accommodation. Staff in charge of pupils’ hostels live in attached 3 bedroom flats with communicating doors to the hostel. At present there are 70+ staff at Chengelo including Administration staff, nurses and GAP student volunteers. To enjoy Chengelo you must be prepared to live and work closely in a small community. As Chengelo is a boarding school there are also activities to organize over weekends. This is not a 9 to 5 job!
Chengelo has a proud history of staff development and remains committed to recruiting and building a high quality team to set standards within Zambia and beyond. In 2016 Chengelo launched its Graduate Teacher Training Programme to help ensure new recruits are given the very best opportunities as they begin their careers. Well qualified graduates are invited to apply for this one year training programme that requires them to evidence progress across a range of professional teaching standards. In 2018 Chengelo launches its Middle Leaders Training Programme for Experienced Teachers who wish to build their careers to the next level and gain valuable management experience whilst reviewing ‘Best Practise’ from around the world. This important blend of theory and practise will ensure they are well placed to take up future leadership roles within the school or beyond. As well as our own ongoing internal ‘Professional Development’ Chengelo makes full use of external providers with Chengelo staff taking part in ISAZ Training, Cambridge Examinations Training, ACSI Schools Conference and more. The school sponsors a number of staff in their own further studies.