Chengelo Training Farm
Farm & Training Manager
Chengelo Training Farm Background
Chengelo Training Farm (CTF) is located in Mkushi, Zambia and was set up in 1994 with two main purposes: to serve Chengelo School with fresh produce and train pupils and local farmers in agriculture skills.
The farm currently comprises of a dairy, piggery, layers and broiler units, vegetable garden, orchard and a butchery. There is a training centre that provides an excellent venue for agricultural training and discipleship courses.
CTF has three training focus areas. Firstly, to up-skill and help farmers and farm workers develop by providing training courses for them to attend. Secondly, assist Chengelo School to deliver an outstanding learning experience in agriculture for pupils from the primary and secondary school. Thirdly, to ‘reach out’ to the poor through farming and stewardship teaching.
Vision for the Farm & Training Manager Role
CTF has reached an exciting and critical junction in its journey that requires a talented individual to lead the farm through the next season of its growth. The purpose of this role is to:
- Expand every department on the farm so that in 2 years the farm can financially sustain this role of Training Farm Manager and do it in such a way that the farm is a leading example of sustainable/regenerative farming methods that others can benefit from.
- Develop a calendar of training courses that serves the needs of farmers and promotes sustainable/regenerative stewardship of the land.
- Create new and exciting ways and opportunities for Chengelo School pupils to experience the joy and wonder of sustainable/regenerative farming with the hope of inspiring the next generation of farmers and agriculturalists.
- Oversee existing operations, working with the Production Manager and Finance Manager to grow the farm to a financially self-sustaining level.
- Project manage each departments’ expansion in-line with the sustainable/regenerative farming vision of CTF.
- Research and introduce new sustainable/regenerative farming principles to existing operations.
- Develop, market and run an excellence programme of training courses for local farmers and farm workers.
- Take the lead on investing in the spiritual health and capacity of our farm employees.
- Engage and work with Chengelo School teachers to make the farm accessible to every pupil, contributing to their understanding of food production and sustainable stewardship of the land.
- Report to and work with the CTF Steering Committee to achieve the strategic goals for the farm.
The ideal candidate should have a mature Christian faith and experience of farm management. A passion for sustainable/regenerative agriculture and training others. Strong leadership, communication and project management skills. An ability to engage with children of all ages. If the candidate is married, there may also be serving opportunities for the spouse on the farm or at Chengelo School (www.chengeloschool.org)
Salary dependent on experience and qualifications. Housing provided.
Please send CV and covering letter to CTF.email@example.com. For further information contact Ben Frampton on the same email address.
As soon as possible.